I think the whole town was in attendance...
Sunday, September 28, 2008
I think the whole town was in attendance...
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Ginny and Becca rolling the gnocchi balls
Our sauce to pour over the gnocchi...
My gnocchi and bruschetta...very tasty!
The molten chocolate lava cake with ice cream- the picture does NOT do this justice!!
Monday, September 22, 2008
With all the changes in my life, there are some things that are staples. Everyone has their vices. Some people need their coffee. Some people love cocaine. I am a Diet Coke junkie with a love of http://www.people.com/ and The Bobby Bones Show (an awesome morning radio show out of Austin, TX). No matter what else is going on in my life or a crazy day at work, I will guarantee these delights will somehow be a part of my day.
So, if you haven't listened to Bobby Bones (96.3), my I highly recommend starting your mornings with their hilarious talks, while you are catching your lately Hollywood scoop on people.com and sipping a Diet Coke. :) More to follow with other "passions" in my life. When I find something that I like, I tend to go full force in supporting it, so these are a few of the little loves in my life that I wanted to share. Sometime I will have to tell you about the Chicken and Cream Cheese enchiladas at Mi Ranchito in KC!! They will change your world!!!
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Jenna and me at her hubby's birthday party...
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Another view of the flooded mess!
Monday, September 8, 2008
The start of the 2nd quarter..The start of the rain; view from my parents seats.
Friday, September 5, 2008
What I do know is that I had a couple evenings of fun! Wednesday night, I hosted the second round of our little cooking club. Kara, Becca and Becca's friend from work Ginny came over and the cooking began! I picked out our recipes this time and found them in two Pampered Chef cookbooks that I had purchased last fall (and of course have never used!). Our entree was "Tex Mex Chicken & Rice Skillet"- which is essentially homemade Chipotle! All of my dreams come true!! As a Chipotle lover, I thoroughly enjoyed the meal! Our dessert was from another Pampered Chef cookbook called "Banana Cream Brownie Squares." While this was fairly simple, it was pretty good!
Below are pics and the recipes if you want to try for yourself!! We served the chicken dish with tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa. I am really getting to know some new people in Wichita that share a love for cooking...especially since Kara is not going to be working with me anymore after next week. It's nice to know I will still see her regularly even though not in our lovely green scrubs! I will miss her at work, but hope she loves the new adventure she is going to begin!
Becca stirring the rice as it cooks in chicken broth and salsa verde...
Ginny and Kara checking out recipes...
The finished product....so tasty! The picture does not do this justice!!
Dessert is served....yum!
Tex-Mex Chicken & Rice Skillet:
1 tsp plus 1 tbsp vegetable oil, divided 1 can Mexican-style corn
1 lb skinless chicken thighs 1 tbsp Southwestern Seasoning mix (taco seasoning)
2 cups uncooked instant white rice 2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups salsa verde 2 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Add 1 tsp of the oil to skillet; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Meanwhile, drain corn; pat dry with paper towels. Add corn to skillet in a single layer. Cook without stirring 5 minutes or until caramelized on one side. Remove corn from skillet and set aside.
2. As corn cooks, cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Combine chicken and seasoning mix in bowl. Add chicken to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
3. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet. Add rice; stir until well coated with oil. Add broth and salsa; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover skillet; reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, snip cilantro.
4. To serve, spoon chicken over rice mixture in skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and corn. Cover, let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Banana Cream Brownie Squares:
3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped, divided 1 package (15-18 ounces) brownie mix
3 medium bananas, divided 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 1/4 cups cold mix 1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed
12 strawberries Chocolate curls (optional)
1. Preheat over to 350'. Chop peants. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions; stir in 1/2 cup of the peanuts. Pour into a square pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
2. Slice two of the bananas, and place in a single layer over brownie. In a bowl, whisk pudding mix into mild; beat until mixture just begins to thicken. Gently fold in 2 1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Quickly spread pudding mixture over bananas. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup peanuts over pudding mixture. Cut dessert into squares and garnish with whipped topping.
4. Slice remaining banana. Garnish each square with banana slice, chocolate curls, if desired and a strawberry fan.
*Both recipes are from Pampered Chef cookbooks. :)
The other great evening of my week was courtesy of Miss Lilah Mae. Lilah is the daughter of two good friends of mine- Kylie and Brady. I hung out with Lilah last night so her parents could go out for dinner/movie to celebrate their 4-year wedding anniversary. It does not seem possible that four years have passed since I stood up with them on their special day. Lots in life has changed, but they are two of the constants that I appreciate and it was a joy to spend some time with one of the cutest and most well-behaved kids so their parents could hit the town! Here are a couple photos of Lilah during her time with "Auntie Shell." Hope everyone has a great weekend and cheers to the good friends in our lives!
So, in my attempt to get Lilah to eat, I sang a song during dinner that I made up and it was too cute; she would dance along....it went a little something like this: "We put our food in a pile, we put our food in a pile, we put our food in a pile and eat it up...yum, yum, yum." Whatever works!
Lilah mastering the use of a spoon....such a big girl!
Lilah clapping with the successful dropping of a ball into the toy. Yea!!
Monday, September 1, 2008
So, the weekend consisted of painting, yardwork, hanging pictures & mirrors and moving furniture. Today, my entire body is sore. My sis and I compared the feeling of pain to basketball tryouts in high school....not pleasant. However, after our weekend of work, the house is coming together and I look forward to the day my parents are moved and settled into their new home! My favorite thing about Labor Day is that as I return to work tomorrow, there are only four days until the next weekend! Another upnote is that with the passing of this weekend, fall is right around the corner and it is my most favorite season!! More on that in future posts...
My happy stow-away for the trip: Meg