Friday, February 17, 2012

Privileged

I hear that word most of the time and think of someone who is entitled and spoiled and lucky. Today I had a sense of feeling privileged in a whole other way....I had a moment today realizing how incredibly blessed I am to work in the career that I do. How privileged am I to be able to help people when they need it and be a part of their life. A patient I have seen over the course of the last few months as he has been in and out of ICU, went on hospice today. I saw his wife going into the ICU and knowing what had happened, I told her I was sorry to hear things had gotten rougher and I would be thinking of them. She is one of the most loyal, devoted spouses I have ever seen...she has literally been by his side every day....for months. Knowing that her husband isn't probably going to live much longer and she will most likely leave the hospital without him, she gracefully said to me, "Thank you for all you have done. How great is our God?" How she is able to find some peace in the midst of the sadness she is going through is so inspiring. The faith she must have in the higher power that she is able to see outside of it and say thank you. I just don't want to forget the privilege I am allowed to be included in people's lives at some of their toughest times and every day I am thankful. If I can make that a little less tough and scary for one person, then it's a good day. So very privileged.

No comments: