Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Hearts





I hope your Valentine's Day has been a good one. Mine was. I didn't think it would be, but it was.

My friend died in a car accident a year ago this date....what a day for a friend to die. I think about Tisharria frequently. Sometimes it makes me so sad and sometimes such good memories pop into my head and I'm glad to have them. It definitely seems surreal and I have spent a lot of the day thinking about T's husband and her family. Lots of prayers to my friend on this date. Miss you.


My day included some sweet cards from my Hetero-Life Partner, Linds, and from my parents too. My cousin baked up an AMAZING storm with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats and heart-shaped Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies (seriously SO good!). Thanks Jenn!!



So, how else did I spend my day? This is my Valentine for 2012:




My Mom. I wanted to take a picture of her in the cafeteria at the hospital but she nervously said, "No!!". :) So I caught her in the elevator!! This was her initial surprised face:



My mom brought me lunch to work. Goodcents. :) Thanks Mom! It was a really nice treat to see you and have some time together!


Mom,

I cannot tell you how glad I am to have you in my life today. I know that Valentine's is typically for the romance, but I think it's also for any love and I have so much for you. You taught us how to love, always told us you loved us and I don't think I realized that some people don't grow up hearing that. We never had to doubt that you and Dad had so much love for me and Meg. I am so glad the last year is over for you (us). I mean, I knew I loved ya' and that you were awesome before 2011, but I don't think I really knew how much or what it would mean to not have you around. You plowed through the last year with such strength and courage and humor. I don't know that I would be able to handle it as gracefully. I am thankful that we're not back at Valentine's 2011 with so much unknown and scary stuff ahead of us. It seems like forever ago and just yesterday, all at the same time.


I am SO happy for you that you can stay up as late as you want and sleep in (who would have ever guessed?!) as you begin your retired life with Dad. I'm jealous that you can wear sweatpants all day and not leave the house if the weather is crummy. I'm glad you two haven't killed each other (yet) and even seem pretty happy in your little world. I love living close by, getting to see you often and how welcoming you are to my friends. It's really nice. You are such a good host and always wanting to teach me something and help make me better. I don't think I say thank you enough. I think it's great that you get so excited about Pinterest and I love how when we're together, people always say, "That's your Mom, isn't it?" cause we look so much alike (even though you don't think so). There's something comforting with the world being able to tell who you belong to.


See, we even wore the same outfit today. :)


I look forward to many more holidays, celebrations, debates, laughs, discussions and most importantly, time, together. You are such a good Mom and worked so hard to give Meg and me everything. Hopefully some day we'll be able to return the favor and maybe even have kids we can teach all of those lessons to. We love you, and Bob too! :) Happy Valentine's Day!


Love,
Shell

No comments: