Friday, July 16, 2010

Rough week...

It's been a doozy of a week and brings a whole new meaning to TGIF. There has been several things that have been going on around me that have been really sad. First off, a high school classmate has been in the hospital and very sick. It's hard to see someone and their family go through that. Last week, my sister's friend from K-State's dad disappeared. He has been missing for over a week now and she was supposed to get married tomorrow but because of this, has postponed her wedding. Tuesday, the hospital I work for laid off 105 people. The environment is definitely one of sadness and anxiety. It's sad to think about that many people losing their livelihoods and it's scary to think about what this might mean for future layoffs.

So, as much sadness as there has been, I guess it's good to remember the good things and be thankful for the positives in our lives. One person laid off was one of our unit secretaries on rehab. She is one of the most youthful 82-year-olds I have ever met. Mariam is always dressed beautifully and looked about 60 years old. She told me her secret is to sleep with your head against the north wall (I do) and to drink a cup of carrot juice with your lunch (I am still contemplating this). Anyway, she got let go and she was reportedly okay with it. She wasn't doing the job for the money, but to have something to look forward to. Yesterday, she came back to the hospital as a volunteer secretary, just glad to have something to do. One of our food services gals apparently sang "When the Saint came Marching Back".....glad I wasn't there for it; she's an amazing singer and more than a few of my coworkers and I have cried hearing her sing "Amazing Grace." Point of the story, I admire her determination to make her days worthwhile and come back to "work". I am thankful to have a job and last night when I was mowing (one of my least favorite tasks on the planet) I told myself be grateful that I have a house, that has a yard that needs to be mowed. Love to all of you good people in my life and for all of theblessings that I have. Prayers to those that are having a tough time right now.

No comments: