Friday, January 1, 2010

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Happy 2010 everyone! Instead of a Christmas card this year, I have again decided to go with a countdown of my top ten events from 2009, in similar fashion to my 2008 post. A lot has happened since the ball dropped this time last year. This year has brought a change in zip code for me, lots of travels, new babies for friends and new adventures- here are a few of the highlights. I hope everyone has had a wonderful time with family and friends over the very COLD holiday season. Wishing you all a perfect 2010!

10. In January, I gave my notice at my job in Wichita and I decided to move back to Topeka. I accepted a job at a hospital here and moved the beginning of February. I continue to work as a speech pathologist in acute care and some rehab as well, doing work that I love and am passionate about most days. I moved into my parents home in early February while I looked for a house to buy. I have many friends in Wichita that I miss but am fortunate to get to visit quite a bit.
9. Before moving to Topeka, I went to Washington D.C. to visit some friends from K-State who had moved the summer before. Daniel and Vicki showed me a lot of the city and it was great to see them!


8. In February, I took a Wilton's cake decorating class at a local Michael's store. I learned a lot of the basic techniques and have had some fun trying some different techniques to make some treats for co-workers and friends. Here are a couple pictures:

A baby carriage cupcake for a friend's baby shower-

Some cupcakes for Easter-

7. I went to Dallas several times this year to visit my sister. I went in February, April, August and November. Meg and I always have fun and it's nice to enjoy some sister time together! In April, my parents went with me and Meg hosted Easter. A mexican brunch on Easter was a nice change! My family also had a staycation the end of June when Meg was back visiting. We all took the week off work and enjoyed a low-key week at home, including a celebration of my parents 30th wedding anniversary!

6. In April I was sent to Boston for training for work. It was a really great visit, although brief....here is an overview of the trip.

5. I found a house that I wanted to buy in April and signed on a contract. In June, I closed on it. It was very exciting buying my first home and I have been settling in after quite a bit of painting and decorating. Here are a few pictures of my new place!

4. When I lived in Wichita, I played in a bunko group with friends there and loved it! This June I started a group here in Topeka with a friend from high school. We have a great time and it's helped me get to know some new friends here. I am lucky to have some wonderful friends and coworkers here!

3. This summer, I played in a co-ed softball league through the city and on a women's basketball team in a city league this fall. Neither team did "well" but we had a lot of fun! In October, I was reminded of my more successful basketball days when my high school team that won a State Championship was inducted into our high school's athletic hall of fame. It was great to see our coaches and quite a few of my former teammates. Here are some pictures from that weekend.

2. In November my Uncle Roger and cousin Jennifer came to Kansas from Denver to look at potential law schools in the area for Jenn. A fun weekend full of college sports- hopefully we will make it to Colorado to visit this year!

1. December brought a warm and sunny getaway to Jamaica for Meg and me. We went to visit our friends Vicki and Daniel that I went to see in D.C. last January. They moved there in March as Vicki is in the foreign service and that is their first assigned post. Such a beautiful country and we had a really great time! It was a nice trip to end the year with, especially when it snowed heavily in Kansas the whole time I was gone!

Wishing everyone a fantastic 2010!

No comments: