Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy Holidays- A Belated 2008 in Review

Well, I had wonderful intentions of sending out holiday cards prior to the holidays and as it is obviously after New Year's, I am thinking it's not going to happen, so I thought I would just send out a "blog card" with an overview of what would have went into that fabulous card (I thought about trying to claim wanting to be "green", by going paperless, which would have made some people very happy- Jenn/Liz, but truth is I just didn't get around to it)....here is a recap of my 2008. It was filled with weddings, friends new babies, trips to KC and Hays to visit friends and many other good memories. Hopefully, '09 will be just as great and a blessed year for each of you. In true Dave Letterman style...my top ten:

10. At the end of January '08, I joined the staff at Wesley Medical Center as a speech therapist. I have really loved working with the adults in an acute care setting and have learned so much from my coworkers. It has been a really great move for me.
9. In May, my parents and I went to Seattle for my cousin's college graduation. Meg couldn't go as she was busy with work. However, we had a great trip touring Seattle and surrounding areas and seeing my only cousin graduate from Pacific Lutheran University. If you have never been to that area, I would really recommend it- so pretty. Congratulations Jenn!!
8. I have to brag that my baby sister (yes, she is 25 now) had a huge accomplishment in '08. Meg passed all four parts of the CPA to make her a Certified Public Accountant. Why anyone would want this role is beyond me but I am very proud since she is apparently a genius! I do not really understand what she does as an auditor, and that's okay cause it seems to make her happy and I don't think she would be caught dead doing speech therapy!! Congrats sister!!

7. Since my sister moved to Dallas in August '07....I made 3 trips to Dallas this past year (including one on the way to College Station). It's only a 5 hour or so drive from Wichita so not too bad. It's fun to explore a new city and see where Meg spends her time. My parents went for one of the trips as well, so it was a nice little family vacation!

My sis and my friend Lindsay who carpooled to Texas with me when she went to visit friends.

6. In February, I started a Bunko group with some friends. The group consists of several girls I lived with in college and other friends of each of ours. We have been meeting the second Tuesday of each month and enjoy snacks and catching up on life without husbands/kids/etc. I would highly recommend it to anyone! :)



5. In July I joined a little Cooking Club with my friend Kara that I worked with at the time and a couple other girls that she knows. We get together about once a month and all bring ingredients and try different recipes. It's a lot of fun to try new recipes and cook with friends who enjoy it!

4. This year, my family again had season tickets to Kansas State football games and my sister and I also went with friends to watch the Cats beat TX A&M. Very fun!! Hopefully next season will go better with Coach Snyder returning. Time will tell!!


3. Since I had to work over the Thanksgiving weekend, I got the chance to host my first family holiday. My parents and sis met up here and we spent the weekend hanging out in Wichita. Cooking that meal is a lot of work but it was great to have them here since I couldn't go home!

2. In October of this year, after having a curiousity for quite a while...I learned how to sew/quilt with the help of friends. I used my grandma's machine and made my first quilt for a friend that is having a baby in February. I gave Lacey and baby Hunter the quilt at her shower the weekend after Christmas. Such fun!
1. Since neither my sister or me moved for the first time in 9 years (since I first left for college), my parents apparently felt like it was their turn. In March '08 they made the decision to build a new home west of Topeka and out of the house Meg and I grew up in. Many weekends were spent helping them paint/move/decorate/etc. and they closed on their new house Dec. 16th, the same day that the people who bought their house closed. Mildly hectic, but they are settling in and enjoying the new place to call home.

No comments: